Originally published on Scoop Empire July 3, 2014
For all the Muslims who don’t live in the Middle East, fasting and partaking in the Holy Month usually confuses plenty people.
Here are 15 things Muslims just can’t shake off when fasting abroad:
1. “You don’t eat for a whole month?! Not even water…what about gum?”
This is the month when the thirst is REAL.
2. Everyone around you is shoving food in their face and it doesn’t phase you
3. You only realize all of the exciting daytime events only occur during Ramadan
4. “Damn that must be hard! I’d never be able to do it!”
5. This is the only time people are suddenly persistent on offering you food
6. You keep your distance from others because, ew… Ramadan breath
7. Deciding what to eat for iftar (In-N-Out and burritos)
8. For females, explaining why you’re not fasting
9. Your parents ask you to cancel plans for Ramadan azayum which somehow become mandatory
10. No souhur drum guy, just an alarm clock
11. The word ‘dates’ take on a whole new meaning
12. You adopt the Ramadan schedule, which involves late nights
13. Giving a week advance notice that you’ll be taking off for the holiday but you’re not sure what day
We’re waiting on the moon to tell us
14. Explaining yourself when eating dinner with friends
Can’t stop won’t stop!